You know the old saying about getting your “beauty sleep”? Well, it’s the real deal. A good night’s rest works wonders on our well-being, both mentally and physically. And, yes, your appearance is impacted, from the clarity of your complexion to the development of fine lines and even wrinkles.
If you’ve ever stayed awake into the wee hours of the night, or even pulled an all-nighter, you know you that the next morning, you’re probably going to look pretty rough. Most of us, at one point or another, have experienced tired, puffy eyes and washed out, dull skin after a night or two of missed sleep. If you’re chronically sleep deprived, you may suffer from constant dark circles and under eye puffiness or deepening lines and wrinkles.
When we go without much-needed sleep, our bodies increase production and release of the stress hormone cortisol. Cortisol in high levels starts to breakdown the collagen content in your skin, which is responsible for keeping things firm and smooth. Missing sleep can also exacerbate existing skin conditions and concerns. Increased inflammation throws off the body’s ability to maintain a healthy immune system, which can lead not only to getting sick more frequently, but also to increased issues with autoimmune skin disorders such as psoriasis.
A major benefit of restful sleep is that is supports the skin’s ability to recover moisture while other fluids and toxins are processed for removal from our bodies. Not getting adequate sleep can result in dehydrated skin and poor moisture balance, which is what leads to puffy bags, under eye circles, as well as dryness, fine lines and wrinkles.
Seven to nine hours of sleep a night will leave you looking radiant, but keep in mind beauty products can be the their most effective overnight because they are able to penetrate better when you are resting. Love your skin each night with this MyChelle routine suitable for all skin types:
- For a smooth, fresh complexion, gently massage a dime-sized amount of Fruit Enzyme Cleanser to purify pores and remove impurities.
- For ultra-smooth, vibrant skin, apply two pumps of Vitamin A Plus Serum to accelerate cellular turnover and increase skin’s metabolism for a clear, youthful, even-toned look. For best results wait 30 minutes before following with your next product (this really allows a boost in cell turnover).
- For bright, beautiful eyes, apply a pearl-sized amount of Magnolia Fresh Eyes to the under eye area with your fingertip onto freshly cleansed skin. A blend of peptide and plant extracts diminish under eye shadows and puffiness while strengthen the eye area for a well-rested look.
- Now, for lusciously glowing skin, apply a quarter-sized amount of Revitalizing Night Cream, a nutrient-rich moisturizer that works overnight to restore skin’s youthful radiance, firmness and increase hydration levels.
Now get some rest, and sweet dreams!
Latest posts by MyChelle Dermaceuticals (see all)
- 3 Simple Solutions for Shine-Free Skin - March 5, 2015
- Get Your Grapefruit On! How this Citrus Benefits Your Beauty Routine - February 26, 2015
- Are These Natural Ingredients on your Skincare Labels? - February 19, 2015