You’ll never guess which cooking oil makes for an effective deodorant! Products that keep your body clean, your breath fresh and your hair silky smooth are beauty items you use nearly every day, which is why the costs can really add up. Shelling out tens of dollars for your favorite clarifying shampoo or whitening mouthwash sounds like a good deal at the time. But once you discover these secret beauty swaps, you’ll never look back. In fact, you’ll be smiling ear-to-ear once you find out how far your dollar (literally $1) can stretch.
1. Mouthwash - I’ve been using whitening mouthwashes, which can be terribly expensive. They’re also not terribly healthy, as most contain alcohol and other ingredients I’d rather not be putting in my mouth. Whether you’re using a whitening version or not, there’s an affordable alternative just chilling in your closet right now. You probably rarely use hydrogen peroxide, but it makes for a safe and effective mouthwash in minutes. Just be sure yours isn’t any stronger than 3% concentration.
2. Deodorant - You’re going to think I’m crazy, but coconut oil serves as a very functional deodorant. If you’re trying to find an aluminum-free deodorant that can hold up all day, you know it’s a struggle to find one strong enough. But coconut oil has proven its potency, plus it smells delicious and you can’t beat how economical it is!
3. Clarifying shampoo - Doesn’t it sounds ridiculous to buy yet another hair care product just to remove the buildup that all your other hair stylers and sprays leave behind? Instead of buying a clarifying shampoo to clean the gunk and keep your locks looking gorgeous, grab a bottle of apple cider vinegar. I pour a solution of one part water + one part vinegar into a spray bottle (recycle one of your empty hairspray bottles) and massage it into my scalp either when my hair is dry or after washing. You only need to clarify about once or twice a week
4. Body scrub - The first ingredient of most body scrubs is sugar. The mechanical exfoliation from all those little crystals does wonders for your skin, but those store-bought scrubs aren’t doing anything for your wallet. You can easily make your own body scrub with a few basic ingredients you probably already have on hand, including sugar, honey and essential oil. Check back for my DIY brown sugar scrub tutorial!
5. Serum/cuticle oil - Argan oil is the best multi-purpose beauty oil out there. Hands down. You can use it as an overnight hair treatment, hair serum to moisturize dead ends and as a nourishing addition to your skincare routine…and so much more! I’ve found Glonaturals Argan Oil to be just as great as any designer beauty brands, and it’s by far the best value!
Do you have a beauty secret that saves you money? Spread the love and share it with us in the comments below.
Kristen Estima is a registered and licensed dietician who loves sharing her tried-and-true tips for living a healthy, beautiful life. Watch more of her beauty, health, home and fashion videos on her YouTube channel, or follow her on Twitter @KristenMee for everyday tips and tricks.