Vinegar: you can cook with it, clean with it and make a delicious salad dressing. But did you know that a certain type of vinegar may also have beauty-related benefits for your skin, hair and body? Apple cider vinegar, made from the fruit’s fermented cider, is a superstar when it comes to DIY beauty treatments.
What can you do with it? Beauty uses for apple cider vinegar include:
1. Facial mask: To make a skin-cleansing mask, simply combine 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar, 1 Tbsp bentonite clay and 1 Tbsp raw honey. Apply to skin and leave on for 10 minutes; rinse with lukewarm water.
2. Revigorating soak: Add a few capfuls of ACV to your bath water for a refreshing, detoxifying experience.
3. Breath freshener: No time to brush? Simply swish a small amount of apple cider vinegar for 15 seconds, gargle and spit. (You can also add this step as part of your normal brushing routine.)
4. Skin toner: Make your own pore-cleansing facial toner by following this simple recipe: 1 part apple cider vinegar, 2 parts distilled water. Combine well, then apply the homemade toner with a clean, soft cotton round.
5. Natural deodorant. Some swear by apple cider vinegar’s ability to absorb and neutralize funky odors, while still allowing your body to sweat out toxins.
6. Clarifying rinse: Apple cider vinegar is commonly used as a clarifying hair rinse. It may help rid your strands of icky, sticky buildup – leaving behind clean, soft and shiny locks. After shampooing, pour a diluted solution of 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar and 4 cups water over hair and rinse with cold water.
7. Color corrector: Dealing with dark spots and other age-related imperfections? Dab ’em with a bit of apple cider vinegar before bed (dilute if necessary).
The Beauty Boss blogs are compiled by our staff editors Rebecca Chopin and Katie Kaleita, who work closely with the Vitacost.com beauty department experts to bring you the most relevant, up-to-date information on natural beauty and anti-aging tips and trends.