Whether you’re new to coconut oil or already a believer, you might find yourself troubled from time to time with certain properties of this tropical treasure. Maybe you’re tired of re-melting the oil after it solidifies or perhaps you prefer not to smell like an island all the time. Whatever your gripe, we just might have the solution:
Regular, solid-when-warm coconut oil still has its place. And straight-up liquid coconut oil is perfect when you don’t want to lose the flavor or fragrance of coconut for your cooking or beauty endeavors.
But if your needs are slightly different, this unscented, multi-purpose liquid product deserves a permanent spot on your bathroom counter. Not sure how to use it? Here are a few suggestions:
1. Bathtime additive: No more scooping from the coconut oil jar – simply empty a capful or two into the tub for a moisturizing soak. As an added bonus, because this version is always liquid, it may not interfere with your plumbing like solid coconut oil can.
2. Makeup remover: Stubborn mascara and eyeliner? Skip the burning sensation brought on by chemical makeup removers. Instead, dab a few drops of unscented liquid coconut oil on a cotton round, being careful not to get it directly in your eye.
3. Hair conditioner: Create your own deep-conditioning treatment – simply smooth liquid coconut oil onto damp hair, focusing on the ends where breakage is more likely to occur. Comb through, let it sit for an hour, shampoo as usual and rinse with cold water (it won’t solidify the oil!) and apple cider vinegar to clarify your hair and combat frizz.
4. Skin scrub: To make your own exfoliating scrub for softer hands, body or feet, combine liquid coconut oil with organic, granulated sugar and add 1-2 drops of your favorite essential oil. Enjoy yourself or scoop into jars to give as gifts!
5. Shaving cream: Goodbye, razor burn. To whip up your own shaving cream, simply apply liquid coconut oil directly your legs. Thanks to the moisturizing properties of coconut oil, you won’t even need to use a post-shave lotion!
6. Sunburn soother: The next time you look like a lobster and feel a bit… burned, mix liquid coconut oil and a few drops of lavender oil to create your own soothing, moisturizing salve.
7. Cuticle care: Nails looking a bit ragged? Apply unscented liquid coconut oil directly onto your cuticles to condition, soften and moisturize. Once they’re soft, you’ll easily be able to trim and groom them as necessary.