The crystal ball has dropped, the champagne has flowed and the New Year has officially begun. You survived the holidays, but the wear and tear may have taken a toll on you””in physical, mental and emotional ways. Heck, you may almost feel like you have a holiday hangover. That’s why so many people find the New Year the perfect time to make resolutions, set goals, try new things and make life improvements.
Studies suggest that roughly 40 to 45 percent of Americans set some sort of resolution but less than 10 percent actually follow through. From weight loss to professional growth, resolutions can range from life changing to small but meaningful. It seems to hold true that the simpler the goal, the better the chances are for success. So here are seven easy-to-stick-with beauty resolutions that can keep you looking and feeling beautiful all year long.
1. Wear sunscreen every day. The sun is the largest contributing factor to hyperpigmentation and wrinkles. Try a daily moisturizer with added sun protection to keep your skin looking great. The MyChelle Daily Defense Cream SPF 17 contains nourishing ingredients with zinc oxide to hydrate and protect in one easy step.
2. Clean your makeup brushes regularly. When the last time you washed your makeup brushes? Been awhile, right? Makeup brushes accumulate a mixture of bacteria, dust and dirt, all of which allow for the growth of additional bacteria, ultimately aggravating subsurface skin conditions such as acne.
To prevent unwanted bacteria from contaminating your brushes follow these simple rules. Rinse your makeup brushes under warm running water, apply a dab of shampoo (I prefer to use natural baby shampoo, because it’s gentle on the brushes) onto each brush and lather the shampoo. Place a disposable towel in the palm of your hand and turn the brush bristles in circular motions against the towel. Don’t press too hard as you don’t want to damage the bristles. Keep rinsing and washing your brushes until all color is removed. Rinse, remove excess water gently with the towel and then lay the brushes flat to dry overnight. Don’t dry them standing upward because this can weaken the glue attached to the brush hairs. For regularly maintenance, use a brush cleaner or mist between cleaning sessions.
3. Exfoliate regularly! Exfoliation products gently slough away the top layer of dead skin or release the intercellular glue hanging onto those dead cells, thus exposing newer and healthier skin cells. Exfoliation also unblocks pores””which in turn leaves them open and more receptive to whatever topical products (serums, lotions, etc.) you choose to apply next. So, not only does exfoliation have its own benefits””it also makes your other skin care treatments more effective! Check out MyChelle’s wide variety or peels and scrubs.
4. Drink more water. Good ole H2O has a lot of benefits, but drinking water regularly can keep your skin looking great. When your body is dehydrated, your skin can seem dull and saggy with wrinkles and fine lines appearing much more noticeable. Maintain a healthy appearance by drinking eight to 10 glass of water per day.
5. Detoxify your hair. Shampoos, conditioners, styling products and all of the other things we apply to our tresses can build up, literally, in our hair. Improve your hair by mixing 1-2 tablespoons of baking soda with minimal water until a spreadable paste forms. Massage the paste onto damp hair and let sit for 15 to 20 minutes. Rinse with water, then shampoo and condition hair as normal. Do this easy treatment every two weeks to keep your hair in great shape.
6. Don’t sleep in your makeup. Your skin accumulates dirt, debris and free radicals throughout the day. Makeup can settle into your pores and facials lines, becoming a breeding ground for bacteria, oil and dead skin cells. Wash away the day and give your skin the opportunity to breathe and regenerate. This can help your complexion in multiple ways.
7. Eat more skin-friendly foods. Foods such as berries (rich in antioxidants), salmon (loaded with omega-3 fatty acids) and dark leafy greens (packed with vitamins A, C and E) will not only keep your skin looking gorgeous, but they’re good for your overall health and waistline too.
Catie Wiggy is Innovative Programs Manager for MyChelle Dermaceuticals. She has been working in the skincare industry for over 10 years as a makeup artist and licensed esthetician. She holds several certifications in esthetics and has hands-on experience with chemical peels, microdermabrasions, acne management and anti-aging treatments.