When something isn’t working right, are you quick to throw in the towel or do you take a step back, roll up your sleeves and start digging for a solution? For me, quitting is never an option. So when I spend my hard-earned money on fancy new hair products or special anti-aging serums and they don’t work the magic the labels claim they will—I don’t toss them in the trash. I also don’t call the company to complain (not yet, anyway).
Many beauty product glitches can be solved by doing things just a bit differently. Maybe you (gasp!) didn’t read the directions carefully. Maybe there are many ways to use a product, and you just happened to pick the wrong one. Maybe the way you’ve done something your entire life has stopped working because, as much as you hate to admit it, your skin or hair has changed over time.
Or… it just could be that no one has filled you in on the secrets to success with certain products. Well, guess what? That’s what I, the Beauty Boss, am here to do today. So fish that flaky mascara and sticky lip gloss from the garbage, and follow these tips to solve your top beauty troubles.
- Fragrance flees. You spritzed on the most sensational scent, but the lovely aroma didn’t linger long. Next time, be sure to hit skin (not clothing) and aim for your warmest spots (wrists, inner elbows, base of your throat, behind your knees), because body heat activates perfume.
- Self tanner streaks. Applying tanner is tricky. To avoid looking like an orange zebra, always exfoliate first. This helps remove dead cells, leaving a smooth, even surface for product to sink into. If the damage has already been done, fix subtle stripes or “mottling” with a little liquid bronzer, followed by a puff of bronzing powder.
- Argan oil slicks. This Moroccan treasure will trump hair smoothing efforts if you use too much. Prevent greasiness by dabbing only a few drops into your palm, rubbing hands together and massaging evenly into damp hair. Or, use argan oil-infused shampoo and conditioner for less fuss! My favorite brand is Acure Organics (they even make a Dry Shampoo, infused with CoQ10 and stem cells, for clean hair in a hurry).
- Concealer cakes. Covering up dark undereye circles can actually draw more attention to the area when your makeup cakes. Always apply light layers of liquid products, concentrating on the inner undereye curve rather than outer edges where product settles into crow’s feet creases. Or, try a concealer stick, such as Beauty Without Cruelty Super Cover Cream Concealer Pencil, which is light and perfect for tiny touchups.
- Eyeliner halts. Lining your lids shouldn’t be a tug-and-drag struggle. Temperature plays a part in a pencil’s proper application—if it smears, try sticking it in the freezer for a few minutes. If it sticks, a few seconds under a lighter might do the trick. Personally, I just use Lavera Soft Eyeliner, which is bio-organic, vegan and rolls on right every time.
- Mascara clumps. Long, lush lashes lose their alluring effects when they’re covered with noticeable globs of black or brown goop. Lessen that spider-leg look by lightly curling lashes first with a press tool, applying primer, then wiggling the wand back and forth as you pull it up and outward,
- Foundation fades. If you’re lucky (or smart), makeup applied in the morning may last until lunch. For longer lasting results, apply a pre-foundation primer, such as Greensations Youthful Trend Caffeinated Makeup Primer, to prep skin, then seal the deal by patting powder over your finished face.
- Wrinkles remain. With the clock ticking, there’s no time to waste making mistakes with anti-aging products. Serums, treatments and other solutions contain potent ingredients that lose effectiveness when applied wrong. Always follow instructions to a T–and remember, the magic doesn’t happen overnight. Be consistent with application and a younger-looking you may just reappear in the mirror.
The Beauty Boss blogs are compiled by our staff editors Rebecca Chopin and Katie Kaleita, who work closely with the Vitacost.com beauty department experts to bring you the most relevant, up-to-date information on natural beauty and anti-aging tips and trends.