As the long, summer days become hotter and hotter, it is a reminder that sun protection is necessary for happy, healthy, skin. Year-round sun protection is a must, but as the days heat up and sun beams down on us, we tend to be out and about more enjoying the glory Mother Nature has to offer.
There are two kinds of rays that penetrate the ozone: UVA and UVB. UVB rays can cause superficial damage, like sunburns, while UVA rays penetrate deep into the dermis and cause mayhem, breaking down the collagen and elastin that holds your skin in place. UVA rays are responsible for the aging aspects of sun exposure like wrinkling, loss of firmness and hyperpigmentation.
Here are some facts and tips for preventing sun damage throughout the year:
- Seek out the shade, especially between 10 a.m. and 4 p.m. This is when the UV index is at its highest and you are more susceptible to the damaging effects of UVA and UVB rays.
- You should always use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 15 or higher every day. For all of your fun outdoor activities, use a broad spectrum UVA/UVB sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher.
- The SPF level specifies the amount of time you can spend in the sun without burning, not how strong a product is. An SPF 30 is not tougher than an SPF 15; it just means you won’t need to reapply it as often.
- Apply 1 ounce (2 tablespoons) of sunscreen to your entire body 30 minutes before going outside.
- Reapply sun protection at a minimum of every two hours, but if you’re swimming or working up a sweat, reapply immediately. It’s better to be safe than burnt and sorry.
- Avoid tanning and UV tanning booths because this is where you are just asking for wrinkles, hyperpigmentation, age spots and, in extreme cases, skin cancer. Just one indoor tanning session increases users’ chances of developing melanoma by 20 percent, and each additional session during the same year boosts the risk almost another 2 percent. (1)
- Try to wear protective clothing, including a wide brimmed hat and UV-blocking sunglasses. The fashion selections and options are endless!
- Don’t forget the kiddos! Keep newborns out of the sun, and remember that sunscreen should be used on babies over the age of six months.
- Self-checks are important, so examine your skin head-to-toe every month and see your physician every year over the age of 35 for a professional skin exam.
MyChelle has an array of über-safe, natural sun protectants that will guard against both UVA and UVB rays. Titanium Dioxide and clear zinc oxide offer clean, broad-spectrum defense that helps prevent the signs of aging, and research has even shown that zinc oxide can shield against ultraviolet rays as well. What’s more, our sun products are vegan friendly and loaded with skin-benefiting nutrients that are suitable for all skin types.
Discover the perfect MyChelle Sun Protection for you:
Moisturize and protect
Use Daily Defense SPF 17, which hydrates the skin while providing full spectrum UVA/UVB protection. A favorite item for those with normal to oily skin.
Safeguard your skin
Sun Shield SPF 28 Unscented is a full spectrum UVA/UVB sun defense that offers powerfully effective protection and is non-irritating. Perfect for those with sensitive skin.
Sun Shield SPF 28 Coconut is also a full spectrum UVA/UVB sun defense that offers powerfully effective protection, but this product has a delicious natural coconut scent. A must have for coconut lovers!
Try Replenishing Solar Defense SPF 30, which will avert photo-damage, reduce the appearance of fine lines and maintain moisture levels – this high level sunscreen protector does it all! Great for anyone looking for added benefits from their sun protection.
Latest posts by MyChelle Dermaceuticals (see all)
- 3 Big Benefits of Using Natural Skincare Products - April 23, 2015
- Face the Facts: What You Need to Know about pH & Skincare - April 17, 2015
- What to Do When Your Favorite Skincare Product Stops Working - April 6, 2015