According to Murphy’s Law, “anything that can go wrong, will go wrong.” Sure, you can gamble against it, but why bother? This old adage inspired me to create a special kit before my sister’s wedding; it was packed with solutions for every possible mishap. Ripped seam? Sewing kit and hem tape. Sudden spill? Stain-removal pen. Spinach in teeth? Toothpicks and floss. Take that, Murphy!
Beauty bloopers can happen anytime, so it’s a good idea to assemble a kit for everyday beauty emergencies. Here are 9 essentials to include:
1. Cleansing wipes. A last-minute change in plans can really throw you off track, but when you’ve just finished up on the treadmill and a client needs to see you — right now — having a change of clothes and a full stock of various cleansing wipes on hand can certainly make things more manageable.
2. Nail grooming kit. *Crack* Yep, that’s the sound of your nail breaking. You now have nine perfectly-manicured fingertips and one mangled mess with extra-sharp edges. To avoid accidentally scratching yourself all day, pack a small nail grooming kit with clippers, a file and tweezers.
3. Stain remover. Oops. That strawberry jam you had with breakfast was so good, you decided to wear it, too. No need to go home and change – a quick swipe of instant stain remover can help.
4. Safety pins. They say duct tape fixes anything – and I feel the same way about safety pins. Whether you have an unruly strap, ripped seam or even a broken zipper, safety pins are there to save the day!
5. Adhesive bandages. That beautiful pair of shoes is really leaving their mark – and by that I mean, they’re giving you horrendous blisters. Keep a few blister bandages on hand to cushion squished toes and heal raw heels.
6. Hair ties. I firmly believe that you can never have enough hair ties — and not just because a bad hair day can instantly be saved with a ponytail or bun. Hair ties can be used to fix other disasters, including stubborn socks that won’t stay up and pants that are suddenly too tight (affix one end to the button and loop the other through the button hole).
7. Floss. Sometimes, a speck of food will stick around long after lunch. And it’s always on the day that you have no time to check your reflection in the mirror between meetings. Avoid this situation by arming yourself with a supply of individual floss sticks or toothpicks.
8. Cotton swabs. Your mascara is misbehaving, but the tissues in the office might as well be made out of sandpaper. Save yourself from the perils of smudged makeup by gently dabbing it away with a cotton swab. They also come in handy for applying moisturizer, lipstick and concealer.
9. Clear nail polish. Clear polish is useful when your bare nails need a quick touch of shine, but did you know it can also help stop that run in your pantyhose from spreading – or keep that costume jewelry from turning your skin green?
What else would you include in your emergency kit? Let us know!
The Beauty Boss blogs are compiled by our staff editors Rebecca Chopin and Katie Kaleita, who work closely with the Vitacost.com beauty department experts to bring you the most relevant, up-to-date information on natural beauty and anti-aging tips and trends.