Q: Should I be using a separate eye cream or serum? Can’t I just use the same moisturizer that I use on the rest of my face?
MyChelle Dermaceuticals licensed esthetician Catie Wiggy responds:
One of the most common questions clients ask me is whether or not they really need specific eye products. The answer is a definite, “Yes!” The skin around your eyes is much thinner than the skin on the rest of your face, so it needs different treatment.
Think of the eye area as delicate tissue paper, while the rest of the skin is more like thick card stock. As we age, our skin loses elasticity and becomes thinner due to collagen breakdown. This is further aggravated by over exposure to the sun, smoking and other environmental influences. Because of the skin around our eyes is so thin, this area is the first to show signs of aging.
Another reason eyes show signs of aging first is because the skin around them is constantly moving. Think about it. How many times a day do you blink? Blinking alone produces thousands of movements per day! Other facial expressions like smiling and squinting also affect the eye area, creating fine lines or “crow’s feet,” which are lines that appear around the outside corners of the eyes and downward.
Under eye puffiness is a common complaint and can be exacerbated by salty foods, dehydration, stress, lack of sleep and allergies. Rubbing the skin under your eyes also can be damaging and contributes to sagging and irritation. Crying, applying and removing makeup, putting in and taking out contact lenses””these are all ways we stress this delicate skin. Be gentle when touching the eye area!
Do wrinkles, fine lines or dryness worry you?
Incorporate MyChelle Fabulous Eye Cream into your daily routine. This advanced formula nourishes the delicate eye area while minimizing the look of fine lines. Revolutionary Edelweiss plant stem cells inhibit collagen breakdown and are clinically proven to reduce wrinkle depth by 15 percent after only 20 days of use. Hyaluronic acid binds moisture within the skin, smoothing and firming the eye area. You can even use this product as a spot treatment on the fine lines around the mouth. For eyes that sparkle with youth, gently apply with a fingertip onto clean skin. Spread over the entire eye area, from brow bone to crow’s feet. Use morning and night for best results.
Are you concerned about dark circle, puffiness or swelling?
Try our Magnolia Fresh Eyes. A blend of peptides and plant extracts sheds light on even the darkest under-eye shadows and sends bags packing. Eyeseryl ® Peptide strengthens weakened capillaries and supports the release of excess fluid responsible for dark circles and puffiness. Green coffee stimulates and revives while magnolia leaf extract helps strengthen and promote repair for a well-rested look. Apply a pearl-sized amount under eye area with a fingertip onto freshly cleansed skin morning and night.
Other ways to keep your eyes looking great:
- Drink more water. Water plays a crucial role in maintaining the elasticity of skin. Your eyes and body will thank you for the extra hydration.
- Don’t smoke. Nicotine constricts blood vessels in the skin and under the eyes making it difficult for nutrients to be absorbed, which can lead to a breakdown of collagen.
- Avoid over exposure to the sun. Ultraviolet rays cause age spots and uneven pigmentation. When in the sun wear UV sunglasses to avoid squinting and protect the skin. When removing makeup use cotton balls to avoid unnecessary tugging and pulling and lastly get plenty of beauty rest, it really does help!
Catie Wiggy is Innovative Programs Manager for MyChelle Dermaceuticals. She has been working in the skincare industry for over 10 years as a makeup artist and licensed esthetician. She holds several certifications in esthetics and has hands-on experience with chemical peels, microdermabrasions, acne management and anti-aging treatments.
Latest posts by MyChelle Dermaceuticals (see all)
- Is Your Skincare Product’s “Natural Fragrance” Really Natural? - December 18, 2014
- Fix-it-Quick Spot Treatments for Common Skin Problems - December 11, 2014
- Get Glowing! 3 Products for Healthy Winter Skin - December 4, 2014