WOW! It’s already September! I love this time of year when the weather is cooling off and there is an autumn breeze blowing, reminding us to slow down a bit and enjoy small indulgences just a little more. As a mom, wife, business owner and fitness fanatic, it’s essential that I take care of myself (if I don’t, who will, right?). By putting YOU back on your to-do list, you can savor some timeless beauty essentials which will not only make you look great but will boost your confidence to an all-time high. Since you’re probably strapped for time — and energy — bring your beauty routine back to the basics.
1. Cleanse — Choose a gentle, alcohol-free cleanser that will wash away dirt without stripping skin of its natural oils. Cleansing twice daily is the foundation of healthy, glowing skin.
My recommendations: Try Glonaturals Coconut Face & Body Cleanser for a cleansing experience that will transport you to a tropical paradise. For a little extra antioxidant power, Avalon Organics Refreshing Cleansing Gel with Vitamin C will do the trick.
2. Exfoliate – This is necessary but not every day! Use a smoothing exfoliator, no abrasive cloths or any products with granules in them. They do more irritating then exfoliating, especially on sensitive skin.
My recommendations: Acure Organics Brightening Facial Scrub with Sea Kelp & Chlorella Growth Factor or CSI Fruit Radiance Glycolic Smoothing Cream.
3. Tone – A good toner serves as a freshener, helping to balance skin’s color and texture. The milder toners contain virtually no alcohol, lists water as the first ingredient and includes a humectant such as glycerin. Humectants help prevent moisture from evaporating by trapping it in the upper layers of the epidermis.
My recommendations: CSI CoQ10 Toner is hypo-allergenic and paraben-free. Avalon Organics Balancing Toner with Vitamin C Renewal is perfect for sun-damaged skin.
4. Moisturize – This is THE most important step in your skincare routine! Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize! You want dewy, “come and touch me” skin that is kissable and irresistible. Long gone are the days of matte, dry skin. Even oily skin needs to be hydrated. Just be sure to use one with SPF 15 to 30.
My recommendations: Reviva Labs Sun Protective Moisturizer SPF 25 is light and works for all skin types.
5. Treat – The occasional facial is a super special treat which you should splurge on once a month. If regular facials aren’t feasible, don’t worry. The four steps above will get you glowing in no time!
Jennifer Nicole Lee is an international fitness model, best-selling author and motivational speaker who has appeared on Oprah, CBS The Early Show, Inside Edition, E! Entertainment and Fox and Friends. She is the author of the The Fun Fit Foodie Cookbook and was named one of the “Three Top Females in the Fitness Industry” of 2011 by Yahoo Sports. Check out her health and fitness tip videos exclusively on the Vitacost Live Wire.