There’s nothing more sacred than “me time”–and there’s nothing quite like a good, long soak in a hot bath to whisk you away from a chaotic day. Make a much-needed escape even more luxurious with fizzy, scented bath bombs. But don’t think you have to break your beauty budget to do it–I’m going to teach you how to make your very own.
What You’ll Need:
- ½ cup of citric acid
- 1 cup of baking soda
- 3 oz. witch hazel
- Small spray bottle
- Molds (shaped ice cube trays work great!)
- Much like baking, we’ll start by mixing the dry ingredients. Stir together the citric acid and the baking soda until they’re very well blended. If you love the sea, or want to have a high-magnesium soak, add in either sea salt or Epsom salt. Make sure all of your dry ingredients are well combined, or your bomb may turn into more of a dud.
- Fill the spray bottle with the witch hazel. This will help bind the bomb together, and also help with moisture. For an even greater moisturizing experience, stir in a small amount of cocoa butter.
- Add a few drops of your favorite essential oil. (Did I mention how much I love lavender? So soothing!)
- Spray the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients, stirring well, until it starts to clump. When the mixture holds shape, quickly transfer it to your mold.
- Let your bombs dry for a short time (about 10 to 15 minutes), then remove them from the mold. Try lightly tapping the underside if they don’t come out easily.
- Let bombs dry overnight before using.
- Then just plop your bomb into the bathtub and be whisked away to a land of bliss!
(Note: Need a birthday gift? Made a ton of bombs and not sure what to do with them? Wrap them lightly in tissue paper and place in an airtight container. If you’re crafty, use glass jars and make a pretty label or gift tag!)
The Beauty Boss blogs are compiled by our staff editors Rebecca Chopin and Katie Kaleita, who work closely with the Vitacost.com beauty department experts to bring you the most relevant, up-to-date information on natural beauty and anti-aging tips and trends.