I love giving homemade gifts – the thought, effort and creativity that go into making something yourself just can’t be beat by a store-bought item. Last year, I made peppermint body scrub. This year, I was looking for something a little more luxurious for all the ladies in my life.
This (easy!) recipe for velvety smooth whipped body butter totally won my heart – scooping it on your skin is like enveloping your body in a blanket of fluffy, velvety moisture! Plus, it can be customized to match your friend or family member’s favorite scent.
DIY Whipped Body Butter
- 1/2 cup cocoa butter
- 1/2 cup shea butter
- 1/2 cup organic coconut oil
- 1/2 cup lightweight carrier oil such as jojoba or sweet almond
- 10-30 drops essential oil of your choice (I prefer peppermint or sweet orange)
- If you don’t have a double boiler, you can use a glass bowl or large measuring cup to combine cocoa butter, shea butter, coconut oil and carrier oil. Add a small amount of water in a saucepan and heat on medium, then place your bowl in the hot water to gently melt the ingredients.
- Remove your bowl from the heat and let the mixture cool for a few minutes. Next, place it in the fridge for 1 hour until it starts to harden slightly.
- Add in your essential oil(s) of choice. Using a stand or hand mixer, whip the mixture until the oil is mixed in and you get a satisfyingly fluffy consistency (can take up to 10 minutes).
- Chill in the refrigerator for another 10-15 minutes until mixture is set. Scoop into glass jars and adorn with festive ribbon!
Your body butter should stay “whipped” as long as it’s kept in a cool, dry place. If not, you can chill and re-whip as needed.