Looking for a new way to get your daily dose of fruits and veggies? Juice them! Even those who don’t particularly enjoy the taste of veggies can learn to love juicing. Just follow these helpful tips to get started!
1. Start with mild veggies: When you first start juicing, stick to mild-tasting vegetables such as celery, cucumbers, carrots or anything else you personally like. Carrots (and other root vegetables) contain sugar, so use them sparingly.
2. Add a few fruits: To add a fruity taste to your juice, toss in a couple seedless grapes or apple slices. Don’t go overboard on fruits, however, as they are typically packed with naturally occurring sugars.
3. Pay attention to digestion: Some people, especially those who are not used to vegetables, may be sensitive to large quantities of vegetable juice. You may need to start small and gradually increase your intake to minimize digestive upset. Add new vegetables one at a time so you’ll know which ones don’t agree with your system.
4. Slowly introduce stronger veggies: Once you get into the habit of juicing, try stronger flavored veggies such as broccoli, beets, cauliflower or spinach to discover your favorite combinations. Eventually you may be able to handle kale, wheatgrass and other nutrient-packed super foods.
5. Bring herbs to the mix: Don’t forget about fresh, organic herbs, such as cilantro and parsley. They can add a delicious and aromatic flavor to your fruit and veggie juice!
6. Switch things up: To avoid boredom, don’t juice the same fruits and veggies every day. Experiment with different combinations to give your body a wide array of nutrients from different natural sources.
7. Add a supplement: Consider adding fish oil, protein powder, chlorella or spirulina powder to your juice for an extra nutritional boost.
8. Other suggestions: Drink your fruit and veggie juice at room temperate to optimize digestion and nutrient absorption. If you can tolerate it, include a little pulp in your juice for added fiber.
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- Natural Easter Egg Dyes - April 18, 2014
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreen - April 13, 2014
- The Ultimate Superfood Smoothie - April 1, 2014