I bet I can get you up and out of bed with three words: Carrot Cake Pancakes. The special-occasion-only dessert is rich, (almost overly) sweet and layered with calories galore. But because I love it so, I recreated the carrot cake by flipping it into a flapjack breakfast and knocking down the calorie count – significantly! Now you can have your cake and eat it in stacks, which have been drizzled with organic maple syrup and topped with crunchy walnut pieces.
Carrot Cake Pancakes
Recipe courtesy of @Colorful Foodie
1 ¼ cups whole wheat flour (or flour of choice)
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. ground cinnamon
¼ tsp. salt
1/8 tsp. ground nutmeg
2 Tbsp. brown sugar
2 Tbsp. honey or agave
1 cup low-fat buttermilk (can use buttermilk powder)
1 Tbsp. coconut oil
1 ½ tsp. vanilla extract
2 large eggs (or 1 egg/2 egg whites to lighten it up even more)
2 cups finely grated carrot
- Add carrots, buttermilk, brown sugar and honey in a blender and puree.
- In a large bowl, stir together flour and all other dry ingredients.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Coat with cooking spray.
- Spoon 4, ¼-cup batter dollops onto pan, spreading with a spatula.
- Cook for 2 minutes or until tops are bubbling and edge looked cooked.
- Carefully flip pancakes and cook another minute, or until bottoms are lightly browned.
- Stack ‘em up and enjoy!