Don’t let your sundae go topless. This caramel sauce has been cleaned up so you can gobble it down by the spoonfuls. No corn syrup, no cane sugar. In a measly five minutes you’ll have the most savory-sweet caramel sauce your body can feel good about.
Easy Peasy Caramel Sauce
Makes: 1 cup
Time: 4 minutes
Nutritional profile: 1 cup could top 10 (or more) ice cream sundaes at only 87 calories per bowl. Watch out for heavy-drizzlers!
1. In a small saucepan over medium heat, stir together the coconut sugar, honey, salt and coconut oil until the honey and coconut oil are melted.
2. As soon as it’s starting to bubble, set the timer for two minutes. Stir once or twice while it’s bubbling.
3. Very carefully stir in the coconut milk. Once it has returned to a low simmer, simmer for another minute or two, or until the mixture has thickened up again. Tip: It will thicken up considerably as it cools. You want it to be thick enough to coat a spoon, but still thin enough to drizzle easily. And, don’t heat longer than two minutes!
4. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
5. Let cool to desired temperature before serving. The sauce will keep at least 1-2 weeks if kept refrigerated.
Kimi Harris is the author of The Nourishing Gourmet, which focuses on providing simplicity with a side of savvy. As a busy mom and wife, she has mastered the art of practicality — particularly in the kitchen — and loves teaching others how to craft nutritionally sound yet beautiful foods.