Recently, we asked our Facebook fans to post their favorite healthy meals. We received an overwhelming number of delicious, nutritious submissions. (Seriously, we were starving all day just looking at everyone’s culinary creations!) Every week, we’ll feature one fan’s recipe.
This week’s dish is…
Easy Red Lentils
Courtesy of Gluten-Free Boston Girl
- 1 cup red lentils
- 1 ¼ cups water
- 1 ½ cups canned diced tomatoes (+ liquid)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 1 (1/2-inch) piece ginger, peeled and minced or 1/3 teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon cumin
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½-1 teaspoon turmeric powder
- ½-1 teaspoon paprika
- ½-1 teaspoon curry powder
- a pinch of salt
- Handful chopped fresh cilantro leaves
Heat olive oil in medium sized saucepan. Add the onions and garlic and cook over high heat until they begin to brown.
Reduce heat to medium high and add the water, tomatoes, and lentils. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, lower heat. Add in the spices. Cover the pot with a lid and simmer until the lentils are tender, about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve hot over rice or quinoa.
Have you tried red lentils? Give us your feedback below!
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- Natural Easter Egg Dyes - April 18, 2014
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreen - April 13, 2014
- The Ultimate Superfood Smoothie - April 1, 2014