Whip, whip it real good. That’s how you’ll get the fluffiest, cloud-like topping on this made-over lemon meringue pie. It might not be the neatest dessert to eat (can you say meringue mustache?), but its many gluten-free and non-GMO ingredients sure do make it the cleanest. Sound like a pie in the sky? The secret’s in the shell. Two Lemon Cream Pie Quest Bars bulk up the crust, so you can skip the butter, sugar and milk normally found in the mix. Whip, whip, hooray!
Lemon Meringue Pie
- In a microwave, heat Quest bars and apple sauce for 15-20 seconds. Mix with your hands until well-combined.
- Add oat flour and roll dough to fit a baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 20 minutes. While it’s baking, start the second layer…
- In a medium saucepan, add cornstarch, oat flour, water and stevia and bring to a boil over high heat, whisking constantly. Allow to thicken, about 3 minutes.
- Add zest and lemon juice and whisk to combine.
- Remove from heat and add egg yolks.
- Return to heat and cook, whisking until bubbling in the center, about 2-3 minutes.
- Let stand 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into cooled crust and refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours or overnight.
4 egg whites at room temperature
1 tsp vanilla
¼ tsp cream of tartar
15 drops liquid stevia
- In a double-boiler or bowl set over a pan of simmering water, use a hand mixer to whisk all ingredients together to form soft peaks.
- Remove from heat and beat on high speed until slightly glossy peaks form, about 3 minutes.
- Spoon the meringue on top of chilled lemon filling.
- Place under a broiler, or use a kitchen torch to brown and crisp the top (optional).
- Enjoy (not optional)!