Tired of the same old energy and protein bars? Why not make your own! This nutritious and delicious recipe for homemade energy bars is easy and inexpensive:
- 1 large mixing bowl and spoon (or hand mixer/stand mixer)
- 1 medium mixing bowl
- 1 large baking sheet
- Non-stick cooking spray
- 3-1/2 cups rolled oats
- 3/4 cup light corn syrup, honey or molasses (or 1/2 cup agave nectar and 1/3 cup juice)
- 2 scoops protein powder (flavor of your choice)
- 1-1/2 cups powdered nonfat milk
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 2 egg whites
- 1-1/2 bananas, mashed
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 cup chopped nuts and/or dried fruits
- In large mixing bowl, combine dry ingredients (oats, protein powder, powdered milk, cinnamon, nuts/fruits).
- In medium mixing bowl, combine wet ingredients (syrup, egg whites, bananas, orange juice, vanilla extract).
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix thoroughly.
- Place spoonfuls of your mixture onto a greased cookie sheet and use your knife to form each spoonful into a bar shape.
- Bake for 15 minutes at 325 degrees or until the bottoms are lightly browned. Remove from the oven and let the bars cool.