Vitacost.com carries over 35,000 products (wow!) – every so often we’ll highlight some of our lesser-known items so you can discover even more ways to live healthy!
Sure, you could load up on store-bought yogurt that’s likely loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners, but why not try your hand at homemade yogurt? Vitacost.com makes it easy – with Yogourmet products to help you make your own natural, delicious yogurt!
Yogourmet Yogurt Maker: Making your own yogurt sounds like it would be hard, right? Wrong! The Yogourmet Yogurt Maker has everything you need to make delicious yogurt that’s packed with healthy probiotics — including a two-quart container made of dishwasher-safe, food-grade plastic, a precision thermometer, cotton bag strainer and full, easy-to-read instructions (the most important part).
Yogourmet Yogurt Starter: Add a little culture to your life with Yogourmet Yogurt or Kefir Starters – these packets provide the beneficial strains of bacteria (live and active cultures) that make yogurt and kefir so amazingly good for you (smooth, creamy and delicious, too)!
Yogurt recipe: In case you don’t believe how easy it is, we’ll tell you!
- Heat 1 quart of milk (or milk substitute) to 180 deg F or bring to a boil. Let it cool to 108-112 deg F.
- Dissolve 5 g of starter with a small quantity of lukewarm milk in a cup, then pour back into the quart of milk. Mix well.
- Incubate 4 – 4.5 hours, or until yogurt has reached the desired firmness.
- Refrigerate to stop incubation.
- Enjoy with fruit, or in a dessert, dressing or dip – the possibilities are endless!