Vitacost.com carries over 35,000 products (wow!) – every so often we’ll highlight some of our lesser-known items so you can discover even more ways to live healthy!
Sure, you could load up on store-bought yogurt that’s likely loaded with sugar or artificial sweeteners, but why not try your hand at homemade yogurt? Vitacost.com makes it easy ““ with Yogourmet products to help you make your own natural, delicious yogurt!
Yogourmet Yogurt Maker: Making your own yogurt sounds like it would be hard, right? Wrong! The Yogourmet Yogurt Maker has everything you need to make delicious yogurt that’s packed with healthy probiotics — including a two-quart container made of dishwasher-safe, food-grade plastic, a precision thermometer, cotton bag strainer and full, easy-to-read instructions (the most important part).
Yogourmet Yogurt Starter: Add a little culture to your life with Yogourmet Yogurt or Kefir Starters ““ these packets provide the beneficial strains of bacteria (live and active cultures) that make yogurt and kefir so amazingly good for you (smooth, creamy and delicious, too)!
Yogurt recipe: In case you don’t believe how easy it is, we’ll tell you!
- Heat 1 quart of milk (or milk substitute) to 180 deg F or bring to a boil. Let it cool to 108-112 deg F.
- Dissolve 5 g of starter with a small quantity of lukewarm milk in a cup, then pour back into the quart of milk. Mix well.
- Incubate 4 ““ 4.5 hours, or until yogurt has reached the desired firmness.
- Refrigerate to stop incubation.
- Enjoy with fruit, or in a dessert, dressing or dip ““ the possibilities are endless!
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreen - April 13, 2014
- The Ultimate Superfood Smoothie - April 1, 2014
- Chemical-Free Spring Cleaning - March 6, 2014