They’re the perfect purse snack. Whether you’re running errands or at an all-day music festival, protein bars are easy to tote around and offer more nutrition than a vending machine candy bar or food truck sandwich…except when they don’t. A lot of prepackaged protein bars are loaded with added sugar and rarely provide healthy whole grains. So why not make your own? You won’t be dumping refined sugar into this mix, nor will you twiddle your thumbs waiting for these puppies to cook. Just add, stir, top and eat!
- In a medium bowl, combine oats, protein powder and almond butter.
- Add milk slowly – a little at a time – until the consistency is something you can easily mold.
- Add ½ cup chocolate chips, if desired.
- Press mixture into a greased baking sheet. Set in freezer while you make the topping.
- In a small bowl, combine ½ cup dark chocolate chips with coconut oil.
- Heat in the microwave until coconut oil is melted, about 15 seconds.
- Stir until well combined. If mixture is too runny, add more chocolate chips. If it’s too thick, add more coconut oil.
- Spread on top of bars. Freeze or cut and eat them right away!