Shhhh…keep it a secret! Your family will never know their spuds have been swapped out for a healthier veggie in this clever recipe for Mock Mashed Potatoes. The star of this creamy side dish? Cauliflower!
This fun and healthy alternative to traditional mashed potatoes is low carb, low sugar, sodium free, gluten free and vegan.
3 cups steamed cauliflower (reserve some of the water)
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1/3 cup chopped parsley
1 Tbsp. fresh basil or oregano
Juice of one lemon
Garlic powder, to taste
Ground black pepper, to taste
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
Red pepper flakes (optional)
1. Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender and blend to a mash, adding reserved water as needed to make creamy.
2. Garnish with parsley sprigs and/or red pepper flakes.
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit www.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.
Latest posts by Maura Knowles (see all)
- Kid-Friendly Fall Recipe: Fruit & Nut Stuffed Apples - October 1, 2014
- Mediterranean Wild Rice Pilaf - September 24, 2014
- Rainbow Sesame Slaw - September 17, 2014