Fruitcake is perhaps one of the most misunderstood holiday desserts of all time.
It’s true, some store-bought varieties are better suited as door stops ““ but when made correctly, this dish can be absolutely delicious. Try out this recipe and let us know what you think!
- 1 ½ cups orange juice
- 1 cup (approx. 6 oz.) dried pineapple, chopped
- ¾ cup (approx. 4 oz.) currants
- 1 cup (approx. 6 oz.) dried apricots, chopped
- 1 cup (approx. 6 oz.) dried cherries, chopped
- 1 ½ cups (approx. 8 oz.) candied orange peel, chopped
- 1 cup all-purpose flour, divided
- ¾ cup whole-wheat pastry flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (warmed to room temperature)
- ¼ cup walnut oil (can substitute with mild olive oil)
- 3 tablespoons molasses
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large egg whites, divided
- 3 glacÃ©ed red cherries, halved (to use as garnish)
- 8 pecan halves (to use as garnish)
- Preheat oven to 275 ° F, grease and lightly flour two loaf pans.
- In a small saucepan, simmer orange juice on medium-high.
- In a large bowl, mix together pineapple, currants, apricots, cherries and orange peel.
- Pour orange juice over the fruit and let sit until liquid is mostly absorbed – strain fruit to remove excess liquid. Add ½ cup all-purpose flour to fruit, toss to coat.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together remaining all-purpose flour, baking powder, allspice and cinnamon.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine sugar, butter and oil and blend on medium speed until smooth and creamy. Add molasses, vanilla and egg whites (one at a time), beating continuously.
- Stir in the flour/baking powder/spice mixture.
- Pour batter over the fruit and mix together – once well combined, divide mixture and pour into loaf pans.
- Garnish with cherries and pecans.
- Bake at 275 ° F for 1 hour, 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Let cool and remove from pans before serving.
Latest posts by Katie (see all)
- Natural Easter Egg Dyes - April 18, 2014
- 5 Reasons Why You Should Switch to Natural Sunscreen - April 13, 2014
- The Ultimate Superfood Smoothie - April 1, 2014