There’s nothing like a crunchy, breaded coating to instantly up the appeal of any boring veggie. But with that tasty layer often comes a quick dip in a deep fryer—instantly negating any benefits those healthy greens had to offer. Skip the oil and super-high heat and try this oven-bake method instead. You still get a crisp, flavorful finish, and the slender, fresh asparagus spears deliver all their original, intended nutrition.
1 lb. asparagus spears
1 cup oat flour
4 large egg whites
3/4 cup breadcrumbs
1 tsp. paprika
1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1 tsp. mustard seed
1/8 tsp. ground cumin
1. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place a wire rack on top.
2. Wash and trim asparagus spears.
3. Seperate ingredients into three bowls:
– 1st bowl: oat flour
– 2nd bowl: egg whites, lightly beaten
– 3rd bowl: seasonings and breadcrumbs
4.. Dip asparagus in flour, then egg whites, then seasoning mixture. Place spears on the wire rack and spray with a fine mist of cooking spray.
4. Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until golden brown