Congratulations! You survived the Polar Vortex. The sun is shining, the flowers are blooming and the great outdoors is calling your name. Now that spring is here, why not pack a picnic and spend some time soaking up the sweet weather while enjoying your favorite foods? This simple, homemade pie is the perfect dessert to share—and it can be whipped up in less time than it takes to load up your basket. Raw, vegan and made with just five ingredients, it’s a healthy twist on a classic favorite, with a crumbly crust and cinnamon-y apples but no butter, sugar or eggs to weigh you down.
- For “crust,” blend sunflower seeds and 1 cup of raisins in a food processor; press 2/3 of this “dough” mixture into the bottom of a pie pan. Place in freezer to firm
- Place the apple slices in a large bowl and set aside.
- Using a food processor, blend remaining half cup of raisins, cinnamon and apple cider vinegar with 3 tablespoons of water.
- Pour raisin mixture over the apple slices, reserving small amount for topping.
- Remove pie crust from the freezer and layer coated apple slices over the crust.
- Sprinkle remaining mixture over the apple slices.