Going raw is a great way to make sure you’re getting the purest, most potent nutrients from the foods you eat. But aside from munching on a piece of whole fruit or crunching on uncooked veggies, how can you add more raw foods to your day? This simple seed and fruit “crumble” makes a satisfying snack as is, or try tucking some into a parfait or piling on your plate along with fresh fruit for breakfast. It’s the perfect combination of crunchy and chewy textures, with plenty of natural sweetness from spices, pure maple syrup and coconut oil.
Raw Pumpkin-Cranberry Crumble
Serves 4 to 6
4 cups rolled oats
1 cup pumpkin seeds
1/4 cup hemp seeds
1/4 cup dried apricots, chopped
1/2 cup dried cranberries
2 Tbsp. ground cinnamon
1-1/2 tsp. ground ginger
1 tsp. ground nutmeg
1 cup homemade pumpkin puree
3 Tbsp. coconut oil (in liquid form)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 -1 cup raw honey or maple syrup
- To make homemade pumpkin puree, peel and cube raw pumpkin. Blend in food processor, then blend again in blender until smooth.
- In large bowl, combine dry ingredients. In separate bowl, combine wet ingredients. Pour wet ingredients over dry ingredients and stir to blend.
- Serve as is, or use mixture as a topping or add in for parfaits, yogurt, oatmeal, etc.
- Optional: Mixture can also be dehydrated–spread in your dehydrator machine’s tray, set to 115 or 120 degrees and let process for 3.5 hours.
Latest posts by Dana Zucker (see all)
- A Very Vegan Passover - April 14, 2014
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – With Healthy Substitutions - September 24, 2013
- Raw Pumpkin-Cranberry Crumble - September 17, 2013