It’s sweater weather! Nothing tastes better after coming from the crisp outdoors than a delicious, hearty stew. This recipe, developed by Natural Standard, is high in protein, low in fat, and combines the delicious flavors of fall-friendly fresh produce including parsnips, carrots and granny smith apples.
- 5 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 pound chicken tenders, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 medium parsnips, peeled and chopped
- 2 medium carrots, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh (or 1/2 teaspoon dried) rosemary
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 granny smith apples, peeled and chopped
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
Heat 2 of the teaspoons of extra-virgin olive oil in a Dutch oven on medium heat. Add the chicken and cook, stirring until just cooked through, which should take 3-5 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
Next, add the remaining 3 teaspoons of oil to the pot. Add the onion, parsnips, carrots, rosemary, salt, and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables begin to soften, 3-5 minutes.
Add the broth and apples; bring to a simmer over high heat. Reduce the heat to maintain a simmer, and cook, stirring often, until the vegetables are tender, 8-10 minutes.
Return the chicken to the pot and stir in the vinegar.
Enjoy in your favorite soup bowl or mug.