Freshen up your salad routine with this bright and summery dish from Chef Oonagh Williams of Royal Temptations Catering. Mangos are in season now, so pick up a few at your grocery store and try this tasty gluten-free recipe.
- 1 ripe but firm mango, diced
- 1 large tomato, diced
- The green of 4 green onions, finely scissored
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ¾ -1 lb. cooked shrimp
- 2 stalks of celery or 1 Gala apple, diced
- 2 Tbsp. hot pepper jelly, warmed in the microwave (Make sure it’s gluten-free!)
- Grated zest/rind of one lime
- 2 Tbsp. fresh lime juice (about 1 lime)
- ½ tsp. salt
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1 tsp. spicy mustard
- ¼ cup olive oil or other oil
1. Mix all salad ingredients together.
2. Add dressing ingredients to melted pepper jelly.
3. Stir dressing onto salad and leave in the fridge for a few hours for flavors to mingle. Salad keeps in fridge for 2 days.
4. To serve, sprinkle plate or serving glass with finely shredded lettuce or salad mix and top with salad. Finish with whole shrimp.
For variety, add shredded carrots, chunks of avocado or diced cucumber. Black beans would also give you more protein and are a wonderful contrast of color to the pink shrimp, mango, and green herbs.
The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness offers Vitacost.com website visitors weekly recipes and blogs about living the gluten-free lifestyle. For more information about celiac disease and gluten-free living, visit www.celiaccentral.org.