If you’re hosting a hoard of hungry guests this Sunday, consider dumping the fattening dips, greasy chips and buckets of fried meat for some healthier fare. Check out the recipes below ““ they’re easy to make and absolutely delicious, so (unlike in the big game) everyone wins!
1. Super spinach dip
- 1 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 16 oz. can lima beans (drained)
- 1 cup light mayo
- 4 oz. fat-free cream cheese
- 1 tsp. hot sauce
- 1 tsp capers (drained)
- ¼ tsp dry mustard
- 1 can artichoke hearts (drained)
- 1 package frozen, chopped spinach (thawed, drained, patted dry)
- ¾ cup low-fat shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup low-fat grated Parmesan cheese
- ½ cup sliced green onions
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Combine oil, beans, mayo, cream cheese, hot sauce, capers and dry mustard in a food processor, mix until smooth. Add remaining ingredients, mix to desired consistency. Pour into a glass casserole dish and bake at 350 degrees for 25-30 minutes or until lightly browned. Let cool, then enjoy with your favorite tortilla chips or veggies!
- ½ cup organic barbecue sauce
- 2 tbsp organic Dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp raw honey
- 1 ½ pounds chicken tenders
- ½ cup all-purpose flour (can use gluten-free)
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1 ¾ cups whole-wheat breadcrumbs (can use gluten-free)
- Olive oil cooking spray
Preheat oven to 450 °F. Coat a large rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray.
Combine ½ cup barbecue sauce, mustard and honey in a large bowl. Cut any large chicken tenders in half lengthwise, then add all the tenders to bowl; stir to coat. Marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
Combine flour, salt and pepper in a shallow dish. Lightly beat eggs in another dish. Place breadcrumbs in a third dish. Coat each tender in flour, dip in egg and then roll in the breadcrumbs. Place the tenders on the prepared baking sheet. Generously coat both sides of each tender with cooking spray.
Bake for 10 minutes on each side, or until outside is crisp and chicken is cooked through.
Slice open avocado, scoop out insides and place into food processor. Add agave nectar, vanilla extract and cocoa. Blend until smooth. Refrigerate for one hour and then serve with fresh fruit, pretzels or chips!