Think you could live off bananas, eggs and bread? When transformed into a cream-oozing pudding, you’ll love trying to make do like a monkey. In this banana bread pudding recipe, you’ll swap the eggs for flax. Yet you still end up with a melt-in-your-mouth dessert that’s suitable for strict vegans, the most skeptical gluten-free foodies and really anyone with a spoon and a sweet tooth (including a monkey).
- In a food processor, add all ingredients except coconut oil and blend until creamy and completely combined.
- Pour into greased loaf pan and bake at 400°F for 20 minutes.
- Let cool slightly. Cut loaf into cubes and spread onto greased 7” x 11” baking dish.
- Pour coconut oil evenly over bread.
- In a small pot over medium-high, heat milk and almond butter. Stir frequently and let mixture come to a boil. Once boiling and frothy, remove from heat. Stir and set aside to cool just a minute or two.
- Add sugar and stir until combined. The coconut sugar will create a nice caramel color.
- Pour cream “pudding” over bread cubes. Cover with foil and refrigerate for a few hours (or overnight).
Banana mash topping
Put it all together
- In a small bowl, mash bananas until mushy and cream consistency.
- Add lemon juice and cinnamon and stir to combine.
- Spread banana mash on top of bread pudding.
- Cover again with foil and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly and top with ¼ cup vegan mini chocolate chips.
- Serve with vegan whipped cream and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Enjoy!
Latest posts by Liz Lotts (see all)
- How to Plank Perfectly (Hint: You’re Doing It Wrong) - February 27, 2015
- Citrus Maca Mousse Trifle - February 20, 2015
- The Benefits of a Short Workout - February 6, 2015