My husband was in need of a little (vegan) comfort food, but the family was heading down to the beach for the weekend. So I packed a few essential ingredients, plus my trusty slow cooker – problem solved!
When we got there, I set out for the farmer’s market, where I picked up some locally grown tomatoes, potatoes and salad ingredients. (My secret for eating healthy on vacation…)
My favorite thing about this chili is that it can be made in bulk and frozen for those nights when you have absolutely NO time to cook – it happens to all of us!
Vegan Slow Cooker Sweet Potato Chili
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Cooking oil of your choice
- 4 Tbsp Bionaturae Organic Tomato Paste
- 3-4 Tbsp Simply Organic Paprika
- 1-2 tsp Simply Organic Cumin
- 1 tsp Starwest Botanical Oregano (I buy in bulk and share with the neighbors!)
- 3 tomatoes, diced (or 14.5 oz. can Muir Glen Diced Tomatoes)
- 1 Tbsp Spectrum Naturals Organic Red Wine Vinegar
- ¼ cup mild chili peppers, diced (or 4 oz. can Hatch Farms Fire Roasted Diced Green Chilies)
- 2 15 oz. cans Eden Organic Black Beans
- 1 medium/large sweet potato, peeled and chopped
- Grated vegan cheese
1. Add oil to pan, saute garlic and onions until tender.
2. Add and mix all other ingredients except sweet potatoes and cheese.
3. Oil slow cooker pot and add a layer of the bean mixture, then layer with chopped or sliced sweet potatoes, salt, pepper and grated vegan cheese.
4. Repeat all the layers until you run out of beans.
5. Cook on low for 4 hours, then serve!
I served with a fresh spinach, beets and orange salad drizzled with balsamic vinegar and whole wheat bread. It was a hit with the whole family!
Dana Zucker is the wife of Vitacost Chief Marketing Officer David Zucker, a mom of teenage twins, and an avid cook.