I’m all for eating healthy. But did you know that a vegan muffin at a bakery or grocery store can set you back as much as $3.75!? That’s for one muffin, people. The thought of my husband spending upwards of $15 a week on muffins makes me, well, sad. So I set out to make my OWN muffins, filled with healthy ingredients such as whole wheat flour, fruit, nuts and of course – lots of love! This easy recipe yields 18 muffins and it costs considerably less (especially when you have plenty of ingredients leftover to make ‘em again and again!).
Yummy Fruit & Nut Muffins
- Utensils: One medium bowl, one large bowl, one spatula, food processor, muffin/cupcake liners and muffin tin
- 3 cups Bob’s Red Mill Organic Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
- 1 teaspoon Simply Organic Cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg or allspice
- 1 Tbsp. Bob’s Red Mill Pure Baking Soda
- 1 cup chopped nuts of your choice (I prefer pecans or walnuts)
- 1/2 cup Spectrum Naturals Organic Canola Oil (or coconut oil)
- 2 Tbsp. distilled white vinegar
- 1 1/2 tsp. organic vanilla
- 1/2 cup organic sugar
- 1/2 cup organic brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Greek yogurt (OR keep it vegan with mashed banana OR applesauce OR purÃ©ed silken tofu – basically, you want to use something moist and healthy)
- 2 1/2 cups fruit, sliced into small pieces (I used peaches)
1. Toss nuts in food processor to chop.
2. In a big bowl, combine pastry flour, cinnamon, salt, nutmeg/allspice, baking soda and chopped nuts.
3. In a smaller bowl, mix together oil, vanilla, sugar, brown sugar, yogurt and sliced fruit.
4. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well – just long enough to get the dry stuff moist.
5. Drop mixture into lined muffin tin.
6. Optional: If you want to get a bit fancy, top the muffins with bits of nuts, fruit or a few dry oats.
7. Bake at 400 for 20 minutes or until done. (Remember, you are using whole wheat so they will be darker.)
Latest posts by Dana Zucker (see all)
- A Very Vegan Passover - April 14, 2014
- Spinach Artichoke Dip – With Healthy Substitutions - September 24, 2013
- Raw Pumpkin-Cranberry Crumble - September 17, 2013