Noodles come in all shapes and sizes—but have you ever tried to make your own? From vegetables? That’s right! These spaghetti-like stands are julienned from fresh zucchini, then topped with a unique broccoli pesto made with homemade cashew “cheese.” This recipe is a raw vegan dream!
6 medium zucchinis (2 per person)
1-1/2 cups mashed broccoli or cauliflower*
1 Tbsp. fresh lemon juice
Freshly ground black pepper to taste
1 diced avocado
6 Tbsp. hemp seeds
Fresh basil or cilantro (optional, for garnish)
1. To make cashew “cheese,” place cashews in jar, cover with water, cover tightly and let soak for at least four hours. Drain cashews and blend with nutritional yeast and 2 Tbsp. of water (use ¼ cup of water for thinner consistency).
2. Peel zucchini into ribbons using a vegetable peeler, julienne peeler or spiralizer. Place in large bowl.
3. For pesto, combine cashew cheese, mashed broccoli or cauliflower*, lemon juice, pepper and hemp seeds.
4. Toss pesto with zucchini ribbons; add diced avocado.
5. Garnish with fresh basil or cilantro.
*Tip: Use leftover Mock Mashed Potatoes (made from cauliflower) as an ingredient in this recipe!
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit Mo on Facebook or www.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.