What better way to celebrate Father’s Day than with “An Apple Pie from the Apple of Daddy’s Eye”? The whole family will love these adorable, gluten-free mason jar apple pies. Little cooks can help with this recipe, and the single-serving packaging means that calorie-conscious moms and dads can avoid the trap of, “I’ll just take one more sliver…”
Gluten-Free Mason Jar Apple Pies
Makes 6 jars
6 wide-mouth canning jars, 8 oz. each
5-1/2 cups of fresh, thinly sliced and chopped apples, peeled and cored*
1/2 cup raw honey
1-1/2 Tbsp. gluten-free cornstarch
Pinch of gluten-free baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1/2 package of Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust Mix
1 egg white, beaten
- Follow package directions to make one Bob’s Red Mill Gluten-Free Pie Crust. Chill, roll out and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and spray all jars with nonstick cooking spray.
- In large bowl, combine apples. honey, vanilla, cornstarch and spices.
- Fill jars to the top with apple mixture.
- Unroll pie crust dough. Use the lid of each jar to cut out dough rounds.
- Use a sharp knife to score the rounds to vent. (Note: You can create the classic “X,” a few rustic lines, or maybe even the first letter of Dad’s name.)
- Place one round on top of each jar, then brush with egg white. Score edges so they stick while baking.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and place jars on top.
- Place baking sheet with jars in oven and bake for 40 minutes or until filling bubbles and top is golden-brown. Cool before serving.
- Decorate with a ribbon or bow, and a handwritten note from your child: An Apple Pie from the Apple of Your Eye.
Happy Father’s Day!