Q: People keep telling me I look “tired” and “stressed.” I wish I had time to run to the spa for a facial, but I don’t! Is there any way I can get that refreshed “facial-fresh” look at home?
Dr. Linda Miles L. Ac., D.O.M. responds:
I firmly believe that our skin is the outward expression of our inner health. To truly look less tired and stressed, it is essential that you nourish the body and the skin with a healthy lifestyle. I always recommend eating a balanced diet with fresh fruits and vegetables, taking an antioxidant-rich supplement, drinking approximately 8 glasses of water a day, exercising, getting a good night’s sleep, and minimizing your stress with activities such as yoga.
Additionally, with the right skincare products, a spare 15 or 20 minutes and these simple steps, you can absolutely promote a healthy, refreshed spa-like glow at home:
- Create a relaxing environment with candlelight and aromatherapy (lavender and marjoram essential oils are very calming). Remember, this is your time, so try to make the most out of it.
- Wrap your hair in a towel, or move hair away from your face using a headband.
- Wrap your face in a hot towel and relax for 1-2 minutes. Remove towel.
- Apply derma e ®‘s Pycnogenol ® Facial Cleanser (ultra-soothing) or Hyaluronic Hydrating Cleanser (super-hydrating) to face and neck and massage gently over skin. Remove cleanser with moist cotton pads.
- Apply our multi-award winning spa-perfect Microdermabrasion Scrub in small circles, moving in an upward direction. Be careful to avoid the eye area. Remove with a warm, moist cloth.
- Wrap your face in a hot towel and relax for 1-2 minutes. Remove towel and any remaining scrub residue.
- Apply derma e ®‘s Hyaluronic Hydrating Mask (delivers maximum moisture to plump, soften and smooth) to face and neck while avoiding the eye area. Relax while allowing the mask to penetrate skin for approximately 5-10 minutes.
- Rinse and towel dry.
- Using a cotton pad, apply derma e Pycnogenol ® Facial Toner (fragrance-free, soothing formula ideal for sensitive skin) to face and neck in an upward direction. Avoid eye area.
- Apply a generous amount of derma e ®‘s Hyaluronic Acid Rehydrating Serum (ideal for oily skin) or Hyaluronic Acid Day CrÃ¨me (for a more intensive daytime moisturizer) to entire face and neck area. Massage into skin in a circular motion until absorbed.
After these simple steps, not only will your skin look refreshed and radiant, you will feel rejuvenated and ready to take on the rest of your day!
Dr. Linda Miles L. Ac., D.O.M., is Vice President of derma e ® Natural Bodycare. Read beauty q & a with derma e for great tips on natural beauty and skin care.