Q. Should I follow a different skin care regimen in the summer than I do in the winter? This humidity makes me feel like I am never truly clean!
Dr. Linda Miles L. Ac., D.O.M. responds:
Summer temperatures and humidity can cause more perspiration and oily skin, which often leads to that not-so-clean feeling. While most people think the key to summer skin care is to cleanse and cleanse and cleanse, and possibly skip the moisturizing step in order to achieve a truly clean-feeling face, resist these temptations. It will only cause unbalanced skin that can lead to more problems.
To remove oil and dirt, it is important to use a light, quality cleanser rather than soap. Cleansers are pH balanced and remove excess oil and dirt without stripping the skin. Toners refresh and refine the appearance of enlarged pores and restore the pH of the skin, leaving it ready to absorb optimal benefits from your moisturizer.
Avoid using cleansers or toners containing isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol), as they are very drying and remove natural oils the skin needs to stay healthy and radiant. derma e ®‘s Vitamin A Glycolic Cleanser and Toner are excellent choices this time of year to help refresh and renew for clean, healthy skin. Those who are already prone to acne or blemishes may find that summer increases breakouts. If this is the case, look for a gentle yet effective cleanser that contains natural antibacterial and antiseptic properties such as derma e ®‘s Very Clear ® Problem Skin Cleanser. This formula contains scientifically proven effective blemish-fighting herbs to promote a clean, clear complexion.
While in winter we tend to look for rich moisturizers and apply them as often as needed, during the summer months some people consider skipping this step. It is very important to remember that even this time of year, your skin still needs hydration and nutrients. Avoiding this step can lead to very oily or very dry patches, and this unbalance can cause more skin problems including blemishes. The most beneficial thing you can do for your skin (now, and all year long) is to make sure that you are applying an antioxidant-rich product that will help keep skin balanced, protected and nourished. Gels or serums are great for summer because they provide the nutrients your skin needs to stay healthy without adding heavy moisture or oils. Depending on what you are trying to achieve (e.g. wanting to reduce the look of fine lines, wrinkles, discoloration, etc.), here are some great products to try:
- Anti-Aging Pycnogenol ® Gel ““ For those with easily irritated, red, sensitive skin, this light, fragrance-free hydrating gel rich in antioxidant Pycnogenol ® and Vitamins A, C and E is ideal for those looking to fight the signs of aging.
- Peptides Plus ® Wrinkle Reverse Serum ““ With two powerful peptides Matrixyl ® 3000 and Argireline ®, and antioxidants Pycnogenol ®, Vitamin C and Green Tea, this formula helps reduce the look of deep lines and wrinkles.
- DMAE ““ Alpha Lipoic ““ C-Ester Serum ““ Rich in skin-firming DMAE, the universal antioxidant Alpha Lipoic Acid and Vitamin C, this formula helps visibly firm, tighten and tone skin.
If you find that the summer heat is really taking its toll, and your skin is in need of an instant refreshing, nutrient-rich boost, try derma e ®‘s Hyaluronic Hydrating Mist. Rich in nature’s moisture magnet Hyaluronic Acid, antioxidants Green Tea and Vitamin C, and soothing Aloe, this formula is perfect for at the beach, pool or on the go for a healthy, more radiant complexion.
Also remember, for truly healthy skin, we must nourish from the inside out. A healthy, balanced diet, plenty of water and an active lifestyle along with a skin care routine that includes cleansing, toning and moisturizing, will help keep summer skin healthy and radiant.
Dr. Linda Miles L. Ac., D.O.M., is Vice President of derma e ® Natural Bodycare. Read beauty q & a with derma e for great tips on natural beauty and skincare.
Latest posts by derma e (see all)
- Watch for This Ingredient in Anti-Aging Skincare Products - October 30, 2014
- Fight Wrinkles & Sagging Skin Naturally With DMAE - September 17, 2014
- Forget Injectable Fillers! Try These Natural Wrinkle Fighters Instead - August 1, 2014