You could eat just over a quarter cup of almonds. Or a piece of string cheese and an apple. Or a half cup of vanilla ice cream. But for the same amount of calories – about 225 – wouldn’t you rather fill up on a hot, restaurant-style Mexican meal? Loaded with healthy beans, protein-packed eggs and veggies, these tempting tortilla wedges are baked for a fiesta of flavor without excess fat. Go easy on the cheese and top with low-cal salsa for a diet-friendly lunch or dinner even non-dieters will love.
Baked Low-Fat Mexican Tortilla Wedges
Makes 4 servings
Protein: 17 grams
Carbs: 29 grams
Fat: 8 grams
- Preheat oven to 475 degrees F.
- Use fork to mash ½ cup beans until smooth.
- Spray skillet with non-stick cooking spray. Add mashed and whole beans, salsa, green onion and jalapeno. Cook over high heat until hot.
- Reduce heat to medium. Crack eggs individually over mixture in skillet; cover and simmer for 8-10 minutes.
- On baking sheet, arrange tortillas. Top tortillas with bean mixture and bake for 7 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Remove sheet from oven and sprinkle tortillas with cheese. Return sheet to oven and bake additional two minutes until cheese is melted.
- Top with additional salsa if desired.