Bummed out because you’re thinking a night out to celebrate Cinco de Mayo has to mean a huge Paleo diversion? Not necessarily! You can enjoy Mexican food with no trouble at all, just by making a few changes to menu options– or even better, host a party yourself.
- Pass on the entrees with rice, beans & tortillas, but enjoy carne or pollo asada, as well as the grilled vegetables that are often served along with these proteins.
- Skip the sour cream and cheese, but help yourself to the guacamole (there are some recipes which call for guac to be made with sour cream, so double check with your server just to be safe).
- Often, the fish of the day offering, as well as a variety of simply grilled shrimp, chicken and steak selections make good selections, with a side of whatever veggies the chef has on hand, perhaps squash or spinach.
- Since fajitas may traditionally be prepared with brown sugar and Worchester Sauce (which contains vinegar and sometimes corn syrup, unfortunately) in their marinades, check beforehand on that one, too; often the chef can whip up a fresh batch without the marinade.
Hosting the party?
- Offer crudities to dip into your homemade guacamole and tomato salsa
- Chilled, sliced melon, mango & papaya with a cucumber make as a great starter.
- Grill chicken, steak and or fish in your own Paleo-friendly marinade, and throw some peppers and green onion on the grill, too!
- Julienne green & yellow squash with some carrot and do a quick sauté with garlic, olive oil & cilantro. Add some chili powder for some heat.
- Serve sparkling water with a lime wedge in festive glasses; of course you’re not going to trick anyone into thinking they’re having a margarita, but it may be more interesting than water. If you do want to indulge on occasion, have a glass of red wine once in a while.
- Offer an abundance of fresh berries, whatever is available locally, or sliced mango, topped with shaved coconut, a twist of lime and a dash of cayenne pepper for a little heat!
Have fun while enjoying your Paleo celebration, without missing a beat!
Would you like to see a Paleo-friendly version of your favorite recipe? Nell is up for the challenge! Click here to submit your recipe, and she’ll ‘paleo-ize” it!
New to the paleo diet? Take the guesswork out of everyday eating with a customized nutritional plan from Nell Stephenson—now available at Vitacost.com! Choose from more than a dozen specialized menus tailored to fit your unique lifestyle and nutritional needs.
Nell Stephenson, the original “Paleoista,” is the author of Paleoista, Gain Energy, Get Lean and Feel Fabulous with the Diet You Were Born to Eat (Touchstone, 2012) and co-author of The Paleo Diet Cookbook with Dr. Loren Cordain, PhD (Wiley & Sons, 2010). In addition to her work as nutrition consultant and trained chef, Stephenson is a personal trainer and competitive endurance athlete who credits the Paleo diet for her transformed health and athletic success. Visit her blog at www.paleoista.com.