Sick of scrambled? Bored with hardboiled? Eggs are an ideal diet food, packed with protein and low in calories with vitamins and minerals to boot, but prepping them the same way day after day can really wreck their appeal. Switch things up with a little spice, a bed of veggies and an open mind! Curried eggs get their kick from curry powder, a blend of Indian seasonings that adds exotic flavor and a hint of heat. Mixed with creamy low-fat yogurt and served with spinach, this healthy breakfast easily doubles as a diet-friendly dinner, with less than 200 calories and 5 grams of fat per serving.
Curried Eggs with Spinach
Makes 4 servings
Protein: 17 grams
Carbs: 17 grams
Fat: 4 grams
2 hardboiled eggs and 4 egg whites
1 Tbsp. curry powder
2 cups plain low-fat yogurt
3 Tbsp. whole wheat flour
¼ cup green onions, sliced
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. pepper
1 (10 oz.) pkg. frozen spinach, thawed and drained
Non-stick cooking spray
- Spray saucepan with cooking spray and place over medium heat.
- Mix together curry powder, flour and yogurt.
- Chop eggs; combine with egg whites.
- Mix eggs, green onions and salt and pepper into yogurt mixture.
- Cook mixture, stirring constantly until it begins to bubble.
- Follow package instructions to cook spinach.
- Arrange spinach on dishes or in ramekins; top with hot egg mixture.