Have you resolved to lose weight in the new year ““ but seem to be stumbling? Wishing for a way to support weight loss safely? The latest studies indicate that eating more protein just may be your path to weight loss success.
A study conducted in Australia revealed that by eating a diet higher in protein, overweight individuals burn fat faster than those eating the same number of calories but following a lower protein food plan. In addition, other studies have shown that by eating more protein, some individuals experience a reduction in food cravings.
Want to try powering up your diet with protein? Try these tasty foods and beverages:
- Fabulous fish: High in omega-3s, high in protein, low in calories, fish such as salmon and tuna are high on the list of protein-packed healthy food choices. Savor the goodness of Natural Sea Red Sockeye Salmon in a salad at lunch, or serve with hot veggies for dinner.
- Protein-packed poultry: Turkey and chicken are versatile ingredients in casseroles, stir-fries and sandwiches. Make a “sandwich” by using Romaine lettuce leaves as a wrap. Craving a low-carb, high protein snack? Among our favorites: Golden Valley Natural Turkey Jerky.
- We’ve got no beef about this: Beef is fabulous when you use beef broth with veggies in a stir-fry. Try Pacific Natural Foods Organic Beef Broth for a flavorful option. Craving something to munch on? Enjoy high protein meat sticks by choosing Ostrim Natural Sticks.
- Already assuming that dessert is off-limits? We’ve got great news: By choosing wisely, you can enjoy sweet treats on a high-protein, low-carb diet! And Vitacost has the best. Bite into brownie bliss with Quest Nutrition QuestBar Protein Bar Chocolate Brownie. We say “Oh yeah!” when it comes to that fabulous mixture of chocolate and caramel ““ and you will too with ISS Research Oh Yeah! protein bars.
- Breakfast is essential for low-carb, high protein diet success. Eggs and bacon are great, but they’re not your only options. Try whipping up a protein shake with Jay Robb Egg White Protein Vanilla or Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard 100% Whey Double Rich Chocolate.
- Are you a vegan or a vegetarian? Power up your plan with protein by choosing a vegan protein powder, such as Olympian Labs Pea Protein in fabulous flavors like chocolate. Tip: Add variety to your vegan protein shakes by using different types of fresh or frozen fruit or try flavored non-dairy milks.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com,Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- Beat Belly Bloat: Flattening Your Stomach Without Shapewear - October 20, 2014
- Healthy Snacks to Take to Work When You’re Dieting - October 13, 2014
- 4 Guilt-Free Comfort Foods for Colder Weather - October 6, 2014