Fresh vegetables and fruits, wild fish and game make up the bulk of any Paleoista’s kitchen. In addition, there are some Paleo-friendly staples that come in handy when stocking the pantry in order to do the twice-weekly food prep, which is such an important part of implementing the Paleo lifestyle.
- Cold-pressed, extra-virgin olive oil — Perfect for drizzling on salads or steamed veggies.
- Unrefined coconut oil — For use in higher temperature cooking. A great source of medium chain triglycerides.
- Raw walnuts — One of the nuts with a more favorable Omega 3:6 ratio. Makes a nice crunchy topping when used in place of bread crumbs in any recipe.
- Goji Berries — High in antioxidants and a delicious way to add a little bit of sweetness to a tuna salad.
- Raw Cacao Nibs — Provide a whopping dose of antioxidants while satisfying the desire to have that wonderful chocolate taste we all love.
Protein (in a pinch)
- Egg white protein — Perfect for whipping up a berry smoothie to go, or for a post-workout meal.
Keeping the diet primarily fresh, with the addition of these Paleo friendly ingredients can prove to be the difference between boring meals, and vibrant, decadent dining experiences, which will make it far more likely for you to stay with it!
Nell Stephenson, the original “Paleoista,” is the author of Paleoista, Gain Energy, Get Lean and Feel Fabulous with the Diet You Were Born to Eat (Touchstone, 2012) and co-author of The Paleo Diet Cookbook with Dr. Loren Cordain, PhD (Wiley & Sons, 2010). In addition to her work as nutrition consultant and trained chef, Stephenson is a personal trainer and competitive endurance athlete who credits the Paleo diet for her transformed health and athletic success. Visit her blog at www.paleoista.com.
New to the paleo diet? Take the guesswork out of everyday eating with a customized nutritional plan from Nell Stephenson””now available at Vitacost.com! Choose from more than a dozen specialized menus tailored to fit your unique lifestyle and nutritional needs.
Latest posts by Paleoista (see all)
- Are Protein Products OK to Eat If You’re Following a Paleo Diet? - April 21, 2015
- Tips for Snacking Healthy on a Paleo Diet - April 7, 2015
- Should Your Pet Follow a Paleo Diet? - October 3, 2013