On the road again, looks like you’re on the road – or in a plane or train – again! When it comes to travel, it’s so easy to be tempted by snacks available on the way, from fast food stops to plane food to train dining to hotel snack machines. Before you dive into that triple cheeseburger at the drive-through, mystery meat on the plane, Death by Chocolate cheesecake on the train or fake orange frosted cupcake in the snack machine, take a deep breath. Ahhhhh! Now make a resolution to treat yourself to a healthy snack to keep you going strong – with our help.
From easy-to-pack drinks to vegan cookies to nifty nuts to energy bars for dieters, we’ve got a series of super-fabulous snacks to fuel your journey (bon voyage!):
- Are you a low-carb lover? Then you’ll adore Atkins bars in flavors like peanut butter fudge crisp! Low-carb and luscious.
- Vegan for a reason? Good for you: Continue on your vegan path with a vegan cookie such as Andean Dream Gluten Free Quinoa Cookies in coconut flavor. Made with real coconut, these cookies contain just 150 calories per two cookie serving.
- Thirsty? Step away from the sugary soda and artificially sweetened juices. Instead, try a healthy beverage such as Vitacoco Pure Coconut Water Pineapple or CytoSport Muscle Milk® Light RTD Vanilla Crème.
- Go nuts about nuts to power up with protein and fiber, such as Best Of All Organic Almonds or Back to Nature Cashew Pistachio Almond Mix.
- Good golly, Miss Molly: What to do when you’re having a major attack of the munchies? Munch without guilt by choosing all-natural popcorn, such as Popcorn Indiana Gourmet Sea Salt Kettle Popcorn or Angies Artisan Treats Boomchickapop Popcorn.
- Gone gluten-free? Then you’ll go ga-ga for Pamela’s Products Gluten and Wheat Free Simple Bites Cookies in flavors like Extreme Chocolate.
- The big question: What to do when you’re craving a candy bar? Don’t snicker (no pun intended!): We have a tasty solution. Allow us to introduce you to luscious Lara Bars. Flavors range from coconut to peanut butter to chocolate chip brownie to cookies and cream. Why we love Lara Bars: They’re gluten-free, non-GMO, fair trade, kosher and 100 percent natural!
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com,Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.