Earth Day (April 22) is a day when people from across the globe come together to protect, preserve and celebrate our precious planet. But it doesn’t have to be a once-a-year event. Here are 5 easy things you can do to help protect the Earth, every day:
- Pet waste pick-up
- Box packaging (in place of Styrofoam or bubble wrap)
- Bathroom trash can liners
- Plant protection (a securely wrapped plastic bag can keep flowers free from frost)
2. Just say no to bottled water. Prevent plastic bottles from clogging our landfills. Grab a reusable water bottle instead – it’ll save you money and help save the planet.
3. Step away from the thermostat! There’s no need to keep your home as cold as the Arctic circle – or as warm as a pizza oven. Conserve energy by setting your thermostat to the proper temperature for the season (80 in summer and 60 in winter) – then let your body adjust to the temperature rather than adjusting the dial. A programmable thermostat can save even more – by preventing your A/C or heater from kicking on while you’re asleep or at work.
4. Think before you print. Do you really need a hard copy of that office memo? Printing emails, coupons, memos and other documents is easy, but it can also be wasteful. Embrace the electronic age, by sending and saving digital copies of important documents on your computer or phone. If you must print, use both sides and recycle the paper after use.
5. Recycle! OK, you know we couldn’t talk about Earth Day without mentioning recycling. It’s a great way to reduce your environmental impact and keep reusable products out of landfills. Before you start sorting your plastic, paper, cardboard, glass and aluminum, be sure to check with your local recycling facility to see which items are accepted.