Working out? Great! Just don’t forget to hydrate and refuel with healthy foods or sports nutrition products. You can add more bounce to the ounce by fueling your fitness with these foods and beverages:
- Nothing’s more frustrating than having to halt your workout because your tummy is rumbling with hunger! Slip an energy bar into your pocket or eat one before you exercise for a no-cooking-needed treat. Choose one low in sugar and high in protein to stay satisfied, such as Power Crunch Protein Energy Bars in flavors like Peanut Butter CrÃ¨me, with just five grams of sugar and 13 grams of protein!
- Before, during and after your workout, drink water to stay hydrated! Lack of water can cause problems ranging from fatigue to dizziness. Be eco-friendly by using a water bottle rather than a plastic bottle, such as the New Wave Enviro Stainless Steel 20 oz Water Bottle.
- If you eat a snack before you work out, make it easy to digest, particularly if it’s only an hour or less prior to your exercise. Be cautious with dairy, which can cause bloating, mucus and gas pains. Try a slice of Ener-G Brown Rice Loaf Gluten Free bread spread with Walden Farms Calorie-Free Blueberry Spread for a low-calorie, tasty snack.
- A great choice before or after you work out: A protein shake made with juice, water or a milk substitute. For example, try a generous spoonful of NutriBiotic Vegan Rice Protein Powder Chocolate stirred into Pacific Natural Foods Rice Non-Dairy Beverage for an easily digestible delight.
- Fruit also goes well before exercising, either fresh or canned in unsweetened fruit juice. A small bowl of Native Forest Organic Sliced Peaches sprinkled with granola makes a great choice. Choose an organic granola, such as Nature’s Path Pumpkin Organic FlaxPlus ® Granola.
- After you exercise, remember to drink something to replace all that sweat! A delicious, nutritious post-workout beverage: Vitacoco Coconut Water Peach and Mango.
- If you take a walk after dinner or work in the garden before bedtime, applause! Maintain the benefits with a light “midnight snack,” such as a small bowl of Udi’s Gluten Free Vanilla Granola with Westsoy Organic Soy Milk.
Joanne Eglash, Vitacost.com’s Diet Diva, has a master of science in holistic nutrition and more than 15 years experience as a nutrition consultant, blogger, author and journalist. She has written for a wide range of publications and websites, including ediets.com,Natural Health magazine, Shape magazine, Success magazine, Energy for Women and Chefs. Joanne is currently the national Diets columnist for the online news and entertainment site, Examiner.com, and a features food columnist for Yahoo.
Latest posts by Diet Diva (see all)
- Beat Belly Bloat: Flattening Your Stomach Without Shapewear - October 20, 2014
- Healthy Snacks to Take to Work When You’re Dieting - October 13, 2014
- 4 Guilt-Free Comfort Foods for Colder Weather - October 6, 2014