You could set the timer and trudge through another half hour on the treadmill in a crowded, stuffy gym. Or, high tail it out of there and burn 200 calories doing something you actually enjoy! Exercise doesn’t have to be a chore. In fact, if you choose activities that interest you or keep you entertained, you’re much more likely to stick with a program that ultimately reveals a healthier, slimmer you.
Here are 10 ways you can blast 200 calories without getting bored*:
- Skip rope ““ All it takes is 22 minutes of moderately-paced jumping (aim for about 70 skips per minute) to burn 200 calories. If it’s a nice day, take it outside!
- Dance ““ Turn up the tunes and boogey down for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Clean house ““ OK, maybe this one isn’t exactly fun, but it’s something that needs to be done anyway. Kick up the intensity of your moves as you vacuum, mop, take out trash, wipe down cabinets and put away clutter. After 50 minutes, 200 calories are out the window.
- Wash and wax the car ““ Save yourself money and burn calories with an at-home car wash and wax. An hour’s worth of buffing and shining will work off nearly half the calories you took in at lunch.
- Garden ““ Pulling weeds, digging, hoeing and watering will set you back 200 calories after 45 to 50 minutes. Plus, you’ll have homegrown veggies and herbs to support your healthy diet.
- Play softball or baseball ““ Game on! Spend just 30 minutes tossing, catching and running for intense calorie burning and a lot of fun.
- Walk ““ Get to know your neighborhood, or head over to a park, local track or even the mall. Forty minutes of brisk walking””wherever you are””burns 200 calories.
- Water aerobics ““ Cool down on a hot day while working off that mid-morning snack. You won’t even notice 35 minutes have passed as you do leg lifts and other water-resistance exercises.
- Take a hike ““ Hit the local trail and enjoy the scenery as you walk uphill and across rough terrain for about 25 minutes.
- Painting ““ Spruce up your digs and tone those arm muscles by painting walls. In just 35 minutes, you may coat a wall, or an entire small room,
*200 calorie estimate based on 150 lb. individuals.