I know your to-do list is a mile long (mine is too!). So when you do make it to the gym, it’s probably before or after work, or in between your son’s parent-teacher conference and your daughter’s softball practice. That’s where a well-stocked gym bag comes in handy. Just keep it in the car and you’re always ready to go!
But what exactly should you pack? Here are my top six gym bag essentials:
- A change of clothes: When you’re rushing to your next activity, a post-workout shower isn’t always plausible. But even so, it’s absolutely necessary to carry a change of clothes. Trust me, nobody wants to catch a whiff of your post-spin-class scent. (Bonus: Try these helpful tips for ‘faking’ a shower after your workout!)
- Towels: Just like you should keep your scent to yourself, you should also avoid sharing your sweat. Stock your gym bag with several towels, so you can wipe down equipment and keep your body dry during your workout.
- Snacks: Whether you prefer protein powder, protein bars or other snacks, be sure to pack something to supplement your workout. Even if you’re not looking to build muscle, it’s important to consume protein and carbs after a tough sweat session to help your body replenish and recover.
- Water: Staying hydrated is crucial, especially during exercise. Pack a stainless steel or plastic BPA-free water bottle to stay refreshed and ready to go.
- Shaker cup: When it’s time to make your post-workout protein shake, you’ll be glad you packed a shaker cup. Toss in your favorite protein powder, water and easily mix it up – no mess, no fuss!
- Music: Nothing motivates me more than my favorite music. That’s why I always make sure to bring headphones and an MP3 player (or my phone) to the gym. For those of you who swim – or who sweat enough to make it look like you’re swimming – check out these comfortable waterproof headphones!