Chase away winter chills with a bowl of homemade chili or soup and these Gluten-Free Cornbread Mini Muffins. Melt-in-your-mouth moist with just the right amount of crumble, they’re quick to make and healthier than the traditional version — made with flax instead of eggs, coconut oil spread in place of butter and your choice of dairy or non-dairy milk.
1 cup gluten-free baking mix
3/4 cup organic cornmeal
2 teaspoons sodium free baking powder
2 tablespoons coconut oil
¼ cup nutritional yeast
¼ cup flax meal plus 1 cup water (stir and let sit for 2 minutes)
1 cup almond milk with 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
4 diced Shisito peppers (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a medium-sized bowl, mix together dry ingredients; set aside.
2. In a separate bowl, combine flax meal mixture, milk, coconut spread and peppers (if using). Add to the dry mixture and stir until moist.
3. Spoon mixture into lightly oiled mini-muffin or mini-loaf tins. Bake for 15 minutes or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
4. Serve warm and enjoy!
“Mo’s Healthy Morsels” is written by Maura (“Mo”) Knowles, a certified health coach, recipe developer and owner of Mac-n-Mo’s, a vegan baked goods company created by Knowles to help her dad eat better (and still enjoy food!) after he underwent quadruple bypass surgery in 2010. Knowles’ recipes for snacks, treats and other fun and healthy dishes appear every week here on the Vitacost blog, or visit Mo on Facebook orwww.macnmos.com for more “morselicious” ideas and tips.
Latest posts by Maura Knowles (see all)
- Kid-Friendly Fall Recipe: Fruit & Nut Stuffed Apples - October 1, 2014
- Mediterranean Wild Rice Pilaf - September 24, 2014
- Rainbow Sesame Slaw - September 17, 2014