Are you making a New Year’s resolution to eat healthier while staying gluten-free? This healthy lunch idea comes from Alice Bast, Founder and President of the National Foundation for Celiac Awareness (NFCA). The citrus in the grapefruit and homemade dressing can help you feel light and bright, even on a dreary winter day.
Alice’s Pink Grapefruit and Avocado Salad
1. Wash and dry lettuce and place in a bowl. Add avocado and grapefruit.
2. Chop fresh basil and add to salad, per your taste preferences.
3. Drizzle salad with as little or as much olive oil and lemon juice as you like. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Create a pink grapefruit zest dressing. Zest the grapefruit and whisk together with lemon juice or olive oil.
- For extra nutritional value, top with pomegranate seeds.
- To give the salad a crunch, toss in some toasted nuts.
- For protein, this salad pairs well with grilled or baked salmon.
The National Foundation for Celiac Awareness offers Vitacost.com website visitors weekly recipes and blogs about living the gluten-free lifestyle. For more information about celiac disease and gluten-free living, visit www.celiaccentral.org.