I learned that when it comes to healthy eating, it’s best to eat based on our own bio-individual needs. Our bodies all need basic macronutrients (fat, protein and carbohydrates) and micronutrients (vitamins and minerals) which are derived from the foods we eat, so there is no one specific set of meals we need to eat as long as we provide our bodies with high-quality foods that deliver these required nutrients.
There is no one diet that works for everyone, but there are some basic guidelines we can follow to optimize healthy eating. I call this my healthy eating credo!
- Stick with mostly, whole and unprocessed foods. Build your menus with fresh produce, choosing locally grown, organic and non-GMO
- Prepare more meals at home, instead of buying premade or frozen meals that often contain preservatives, added sugar, fat and sodium
- Eat in a relaxed environment – it’s best to unplug and put down the phone and turn off the computer and TV
- Chew your food well, this helps your body assimilate nutrients better and assists in digestion
- Eat in the company of people you enjoy and those you love
This credo is not just about eating healthy foods, but includes tips that will boost our moods which benefits digestion, nutrient assimilation and overall well-being.
Here are some real food recipes — enjoy!