What’s your vacation destination this summer? Most likely you’ll be hitting the sea shore at some point. And as much as we all love a luxurious beach resort, high-calorie cocktails and tiki bar snacks can quickly derail your fitness train. Stay on track by packing a healthier beach bag.
1. Jump rope – Get a burst of cardio while you’re watching the waves crash onto shore. You can achieve the cardiovascular equivalent of a 3-mile run in only 11 minutes of jumping rope.
2. Beach towel – Towels serve double-duty. Use yours as an exercise mat for body-weight exercises (think sit-ups, push-ups, bicycles and donkey kicks). While basking in the sun, do you set a timer to flip over every few minutes? Before you flip, do a set of sit-ups. On the next flip, do a set of push-ups. Keep alternating exercises as you alternate between back and belly.
3. Sunglasses & hat – Cover up while you jog in the sand…barefoot. I recommend staying close to the break where the sand is firmer. But for a real challenge, run in the soft sand. Your leg muscles will have to work much harder to stabilize and push off of a sinking surface.
4. Sunscreen – I don’t have to tell you how important it is to wear sunscreen. It’s a habit you should get into every day. But for the beach, you’ll want to choose one that is water-resistant, rubs in quickly and offers at least 30 SPF.
5. Water bottle – Not only do you need to drink water before, during and after a workout, but sun exposure can also dehydrate you. Fill an insulated water bottle with ice and a low-cal electrolyte mix. Drinking flavored water will also help to curb your cravings for those sweet, frozen cocktails.
6. Pre-portioned snacks – Though you’ll probably eat out several times on vacation, you can make smart choices while you’re on the beach. By packing healthy foods in small snack-sized baggies, you can control calorie consumption.